Corporate social responsibility
Improving the sustainability of its processes and products is a daily task for Suiker Unie. Royal Cosun’s sustainability programme is based on three pillars: Stakeholder Stewardship, Sustainable Sourcing & Agriculture, and Environmental Sustainability.
" Corporate Social Responsibility"
Stakeholder stewardship; supply chain responsibility
- Forging sustainable relationships with consumers by encouraging healthy diets and active lifestyles.
- Lowering the incident frequency to less than 10 in 2020.
- Reducing local environmental complaints to two per annum per production site at most.
Sustainable sourcing & agriculture; sustainable beet harvest
- Achieving an average yield of 16.2 tonnes of sugar per hectare of sugar beet.
- Sourcing 100% Bonsucro-certified cane sugar (or equivalent).
- As from 2018, all the sugar beet growers work to SAI Gold level.
Environmental sustainability; the environment and society
- Reducing sugar production’s carbon footprint by 40% by 2020 in comparison with 1990.
- Energy saving of 50% per tonne of sugar by 2020 in comparison with 1990.